Cold

Recently Jarom asked me if I’d rather have the flu for 2 days or a cold that lingers for 2 weeks. I quickly picked the cold, which surprised him. I explained that since I’m the childcare provider in our house, I’d have to make other arrangements for the kids if I had the flu. But if I had a cold, I could muddle through things.

The question was apparently some sort of cosmic test, as now I have a cold. June has something too – something that makes her wake up 6+ times every night. No me gusta. Jarom let me sleep until the last possible minute this morning, and after he left I stumbled out of bed, groggy, congested, exhausted, ready to give in. So far the kids are being nice – Jarom must have explained that I’m feeling sick – but we’ll see what horrors the day brings. This isn’t exactly the kind of cold I imagined; I was hoping for some sniffles and a sore throat. Not “I want to down an entire bottle of NyQuil and disappear for a week.”

Since that isn’t an option, I’m open to suggestions. How do you cope when you’re not feeling well, but you still have responsibilities like feeding your kids? I think almost everything else in my life can handle a few more days of neglect (the house is not doing well, but it will have to wait), but the kids still need to eat, have diaper changes/be reminded to use the bathroom, take naps; the dog needs to go outside once in a while. Should I just plan on a lot of stumbling around?

EDIT: Wow, just kidding, the kids were not being nice. We’ve had endless talks recently about not taking things that aren’t yours without asking first . . . but the kids thought it didn’t apply to food. They’d finished eating some biscotti (which I gave them) and then took two boxes of macaroni and cheese, dumped the noodles all over Evan’s floor, and dumped the nasty orange powder all over Evan’s bed. Thanks, kids.

8 Comments on “Cold”

1. testingpinterest says:

Can you somehow lock up all your food? That was my first thought after the ketchup incident. And I just went through a nasty cold – I did a lot of hanging out on the couch watching TV while Brooklyn had her run of the house (she’s not into TV yet.) I say do whatever you gotta do to stay sane!

• Mika says:

I confess, with embarrassment, that the food incidents have been my fault. With the ketchup, I’d had Jarom bring me a burger late the night before, and I left the ketchup bottle on my nightstand. With the mac & cheese, Evan had pleaded for it at Costco, Jarom made it for the kids for dinner, and the rest of the Costco pack was on the table. The cabinets are way too high for the kids to get into – so I really just need to be more tidy and responsible! Ha, don’t see that happening anytime soon.

2. Nicole says:

Movies…a cage, perhaps? Good luck.

• Mika says:

The kids were banned from watching anything after the mac & cheese incident. Otherwise, my first thought would probably have been to let them have a marathon!

3. Jenny says:

The joys of free-range children. My kids both get a lot of high chair time when I’m sick…if Evan is no longer high-chaired, a belt works well to secure a larger child to a kitchen chair (belt through the child’s front belt loop and then around the back of the chair…we use this in restaurants all the time). Then, proceed with activities…coloring, play dough, snacks etc. When you feel too horrible to keep this up, move the kids in front of the TV (still in chairs) and put on a movie. Obviously you can’t keep them in chairs all day, but it can buy you a couple of hours.

Do have any devices with kid apps? If you do, have June sit with you and download the Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood app…the sticker sticking part will keep her nice and busy for awhile.

Play “sleeping chickens.” Sit on the couch and have the kids pretend to be sleeping chickens until you crow, and everyone has to pop up. Download a crowing sound on your phone if your voice is too hoarse.

Print off some finger puppets and have a puppet show. I like these ones: http://www.inklesstales.com/red_riding/index.shtml http://www.thelandofme.com/blog/2010/9/14/make-me-finger-puppets.html
    Or if you’re willing to pay, these: http://www.etsy.com/listing/114572099/forest-hand-drawn-paper-finger-puppets.

Other things to download: mazes…Evan is probably big enough to do some simple ones.

Challenge the kids to freeze dance. Put on some music, and from your blanketed post on the couch stop the music and call out “freeze.” Give them some old scarves to wave around while they dance. (Explain you are the audience and clap a lot to get out of participating).

Play “hide the object” Take two small stuffed animals or plastic toys or whatever (one per child) and hide them. After they have found their toy, make them hide the toy for each other. Specify that if they are going to get to play, they MUST hide the toy in the room with you.

Hopefully at least a couple of these work. I know it is miserable to be home and sick with little ones, particularly when you have imaginative kids (I get it…Liam was swinging our five and a half foot floor lamp above his head this morning shouting “I have the power of Grey Skull…so yeah). Heal quickly.

Also, DayQuil and caffeinated soda pop.

• Mika says:

Liam cracks me up.

I ended up keeping the kids entertained on my bed with the closet-full of toys I’ve removed from their rooms. I didn’t get a ton of rest, but there also weren’t any more disasters. I think Evan will be getting some craft/project-related things for his birthday!

4. Jarom says: