Day 26

I’ve gotten used to our Friday checkups. Tiny Baby has been active enough that I’m not afraid of getting bad news, and I like getting to have a quick ultrasound and see the heartbeat every week. So I expected our visit today to be routine.

When Dr. L came in, he said he’d reviewed the images from the very first ultrasound – the one that got me referred to the perinatologist – and thought he, like that first sonographer, saw the baby’s full bladder. Obviously if there are no functional kidneys, there won’t ever be anything in the bladder, and it was something Jarom had wondered about after the second ultrasound, which found no kidneys, stomach, or bladder. The perinatologist was very final about his diagnosis, so I assumed the first sonographer was mistaken. But Dr. L wondered about the conflicting information, so he recommended we get another ultrasound done by the perinatologist.

He said that most likely, we’ll get the same diagnosis, or maybe a new diagnosis with the same outcome – but different risks for the future or different courses of action we may want to take. Of course, no matter the cause of the lack of amniotic fluid, the baby still can’t live.

But for one brief minute I got my hopes up.

For one brief minute I thought maybe the specialist was wrong, and things could somehow be fixed.

For one brief moment I wondered, What if Tiny Baby will live?

Hope is a terrible thing. Even though I can tell myself that this ultrasound won’t change much, if anything, some tiny part of me incessantly wonders, What if? What if?

I’d thought of a question a few days ago that I planned to ask today. After the recommendation for another ultrasound, I thought maybe I should wait until next week when we were sure that things would go ahead as planned. I asked anyway: Will it make a lot of difference that the baby is breech?

Yes.

The baby’s head can get stuck, in which case, if the baby was alive, they might die before the body is completely delivered.

Or the baby’s head can get stuck and I’ll start bleeding, a lot, in which case they would essentially do a partial-birth abortion in order to stop the bleeding. Normally they’d do a C-section, but since the baby has no chance of survival, they want to minimize the risk to me.

Waiting until the baby is bigger might help. Or it might not.

I didn’t know I could feel this horrible.

Advertisements

3 Comments on “Day 26”

  1. Camile says:

    Oh, Mika! How I ache for you! I’m sure horrible doesn’t even begin to describe how you feel. I’m so sorry you had to have your hope smashed again. I love you! :)

  2. Alitha Thompson says:

    I am so sorry! Hope is a horrible thing at times. We continue to pray and hope with you. We are both soo sorry you are going through this.

  3. Louise says:

    You are enduring such hard things. I am so sorry.


Be opinionated! We certainly are.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s